Procedures to Follow After a Motor Vehicle Accident:


Call the police and an ambulance if it is needed . Sometimes, the other driver may try to talk you out of calling the police after a motor vehicle accident. This may happen when the other driver was at fault. Failing to call the police may hurt your case because a violation of a traffic law can establish liability against the other driver. It is smart to contact the police right away so that you can establish proof of the accident. The police will arrive at the scene and begin investigating and making a record of the accident. They will usually get statements from any witnesses. If they have a reasonable suspicion, the police may check to see if the other driver was intoxicated. Sometimes, the police can obtain an admission by the other driver that he or she was the cause of the motor vehicle accident. Even if you are involved in a minor fender bender motor vehicle accident, you should still call them to report the accident.

Any injuries should be treated right away. Even minor injuries should be immediately reported to the police, paramedics, doctor, and hospital. Try to be very accurate when you describe your injury symptoms because even minor symptoms might be a clue to a serious injury. Give your health care provider all the information necessary to determine the extent of your injuries.

Although you may not feel any pain right away, some injury symptoms may not show up for many days or even weeks after the motor vehicle accident. By calling the police and getting the accident documented, you have better proof if you need to be compensated for any injuries resulting from the motor vehicle accident.

Exchange information with the other driver(s).

Get the names, phone numbers, and addresses of any people who witnessed your motor vehicle accident.

If you can, make notes of the motor vehicle accident and include details about the vehicles, the people involved, and the names of any police or ambulance workers.

Try to have pictures taken of the accident scene, damage to your vehicle and any injuries you received.

File an accident report with the police if they did not come to the scene.

Report the motor vehicle accident to your insurance company.

Be careful if the adjuster for the other driver's insurance company tries to get you to discuss the facts of the accident. 

Collect all reports, receipts, bills, and documents related to your motor vehicle accident because these will help support your claim for damages when you consult an injury lawyer.



Automobile Collisions | Defective Products | On the Job Injuries | Motorcycle Accidents | Pedestrian Injuries Spinal Injuries | Uninsured Motorist Cases | Wrongful Death

This site developed by George Bochanis